The census indexes are name indexes compiled from the transcript books prepared by census enumerators from the individual census schedules collected from each household.
Name indexes to the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses for all Scotland are currently available on this site. You may also search the 1881 census by address using the LDS index.
1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911
Each index entry includes: surname, forename(s), sex, age, registration district and county, and the GROS references (see below).
Each index entry includes: surname, forename(s), sex, age, address and census place.
The numbers in the column "GROS Data" provide additional reference points for locating the source records at New Register House and can aid the General Register Office staff if you need help with a particular record.
For example, 282/04 037/00 010 where:
- 282 is the registration district, (in this case Dundee), equivalent to the registration district name shown in the index record.
- 04 is the registration district suffix, (in this case St. Andrew), an additional index term for locating the relevant register. This is not always present.
- 037 is the enumeration district. This is the area assigned to an enumerator. The enumerator collected the census schedules from each household in his area and entered the details into an enumeration book.
- 00 is the enumeration district supplement. A supplementary book was opened if the enumeration book was filled up. When no supplementary book exists, the reference, as in this case, is 00.
- 010 is the page number within the relevant enumeration book. Names that appear on the same page or the previous or next pages of an enumeration book are likely to be part of the same household, unless there are adjacent households with the same surname.
Note: GROS references do not appear on 1881 census index results, but will appear at the top of the household transcription alongside the microfilm number.
1841 index entries Be aware that 1841 entries are indexed to the first page of the double page image, therefore the entry that you require may appear on the right hand page on the image, and not the left.
A street index for the 1911 census is available here.